LARA DE LOS INFANTES
Town of the Conventus Cluniensis in Tarraconensis, 18
km from Salas. Pre-Roman castrum with three walled
enclosures. In one, called La Muela, rectangular and
circular houses with pottery and bronzes have been excavated. Near the present village was a Roman settlement, rich in funerary inscriptions (CIL
II, 2850H), characteristically beveled. Nearby is the 7th c. church of
Quintanilla de las Viñas.
II, 391; J. L. Monteverde, “Los
Castros de Lara (Burgos),” Zephyrus
9 (1958) 191;
B. Osaba, “Catálogo arqueológico de la Provincia de
Burgos,” Noticiario Arqueológico Hispánico
6 (1962) 247, 259, 275.
P. DE PALOL