previous next

LES CARS Corrèze, France.

Situated at the edge of the communes of Perols and Saint Merd-les-Oussines.

Three buildings have been located, excavated in 1936-38 and 1952-53: a temple and a mausoleum, forming a complex, and a villa 500 m E. Coins found on the site indicate occupation from Hadrian's time to that of Aurelian.

The temple, built entirely of large blocks of granite, conforms to the Graeco-Roman type. A rectangle oriented E-W (11.3 x 8.3 m), the entrance is to the E; the W end terminates in an apse 2.2 m deep. It was approached by a flight of three steps extending along the whole E facade. The roof was made of slabs of granite. Besides the podium, some huge blocks with ornamental molding are scattered on the ground.

A slightly smaller and less well-built monument, 12 m N of the temple, is aligned with it. An incineration burial has been found in the middle of it, suggesting a mausoleum. The two buildings are enclosed by a wall.

A monolithic tank of granite lies 500 m to the E, in the NE corner of a building of 15 rooms, six of them heated by hypocaust. Some have taken it for a bath building, but it is probably a house or inn. Two building periods can be distinguished: 1) six rooms arranged in a rectangle, the walls made of rubble bonded with mortar and faced with small blocks; 2) eight rooms and a gallery were added to the S around a courtyard. The walls here are not so carefully built; the large room at the S end had a mosaic with a design of triangles of red and gray sandstone, and a pool with a fountain.


L. Prieur & F. Delage, “Fouilles effectuées au ‘Château des Cars,’” Gallia 5 (1947) 47-79; M. Vazeilles, Station gallo-romaine des Cars (1962).


hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: