estate 1.2 km NW of Liestal, in the territory of Augusta
Raurica now called Muazach, the ancient name Monciacum is mentioned in a document of A.D. 825. It was built in the middle of the 1st c. A.D. and sacked by the Alamanni in 259-60, but part of it was inhabited into
the 4th c.
The estate comprised a rectangular enclosure (over
300 x 150 m); the villa itself, built in several periods, had
geometric and figured mosaics (partly destroyed) of the
late 2d c. A separate bath building and a small sanctuary
have been identified at a nearby spring, also several out-buildings (barns, workshops) built against the enclosure wall. There is a museum on the site, and the Kantonsmuseum Baselland is in Liestal.
T. Strübin & R. Laur-Belart, “Die
römische Villa von Munzach bei Liestal,” Ur-Schweiz
17 (1953) 1-16PI
; id., “Monciacum, der römische Gutshof und das mittelalterliche Dorf Munzach bei Liestal”
21 (1956) 1-40PI
; V. von
Gonzenbach, Die römischen Mosaiken der Schweiz
; Jb. Schweiz. Gesell. f. Urgeschichte
56 (1971) 220.
V. VON GONZENBACH