A village 13 km S of
Tirana on the road to Elbasan (the ancient Scampa).
Halfway up the hill on which Petrela is situated are noteworthy remains of defensive walls which comprise terracing operations on the S, E, and W sides; above each section is a level area. On the best preserved, which is
on the W side, rises a building that is still extant to
a height of 5 m and to a length of 20 m. The walls form
a double ring, of which the outer section is built of
square blocks which form a pseudo-isodomic structure
strengthened by buttresses. In the vicinity, fragments of
Hellenistic pottery have been discovered.
K. Praschniker & Schober, Archäologische Forschungen in Albanien und Montenegro
(1919) 31; P. C. Sestieri, “Esplorazioni archeologiche in Albania,” Rivista d'Albania
3, 3 (1942) 153.
P. C. SESTIERI