previous next

PIERREFONDS Arrondissement of Compiègne, canton of Attichy, Oise, France.

A Gallo-Roman vicus, the largest and best preserved of Belgic Gaul, on the Roman road from Soissons to Senlis and at the W border of the civitas of the Suessiones. Some of its houses fronted the street and some were set back with porticos. Most of them were originally dug to some depth and were heated by hypocausts. In the center of the vicus a temple-fanum and a bath complex were uncovered. Around the temple and S of it an immense Merovingian cemetery was found (ca. 2000 sarcophagi).

These above discoveries were made 1866-70. In 1966 the Roman road was excavated at several points, the ground plan of the houses determined, and the existence of earlier habitations revealed by study of the stratigraphy. Occupation of the site does not appear to have survived the catastrophes of the Late Empire. Exploration of the surrounding area has indicated almost 50 ha of remains.

The finds from the 19th c. excavations are in the Musée des Antiquités Nationales, and the recent ones at the Pierrefonds town hall.


F. Digues, “Les Fouilles de la Ville des Gaules (Le Mont Berny a Pierrefonds),” Revue du Nord 155 (1967) 691-701; M. Jouve, “Découverte d'un statère d'or . . .,” Gallia 30 (1972) 274-75.


hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: