A large, luxurious Gallo-Roman villa was found
here in the 19th c. and has been excavated since 1967.
This villa (ca. 300 x 250 m) was inhabited between the
middle of the 1st c. B.C. and the 5th-6th c. A.D. A variety
of objects was found: Arretine, La Graufesenque and
Lezoux ware (2d-c. olla with graffiti in Latin and Greek),
Allobrogian ware, painted wall coatings, marble plaques,
coins, objects of bone and bronze.
M. B. Lacroix, Histaire de Saint-Romain
(1884); M. Leglay, “Informations,” Gallia
588-89; 29 (1971) 428.