Identified by its position in the Antonine Itinerary
478.9) with Littleborough, 6.4 km S of Gainsborough,
where the Roman road from Lincoln to Doncaster
crossed the river Trent. Many remains have been found,
including pottery and coins (1st-4th c.), two kilns, and
an inscribed altar (RIB
277), but the extent of the settlement is not known. An early fort commanding the river crossing is likely and the main concentration appears to have been on the W bank.
II (1910) 19;
J.K.S. St. Joseph, JRS
59 (1969) 127; Britannia
: A.L.F. Rivet, ibid. 47, 51-52.