to this place in the Antonine Itinerary
(485.6, 486.6) indicate a location at Speen, 1.6 km NW of Newbury, or
more precisely at Woodspeen, which lies just to the NW;
but although finds of Roman material are not uncommon in the area, no nucleation has so far been noted.
The excavated settlement at Thatcham lies too far E to
fit the figures. The derivation of the modern name from
the ancient one (Latin: at the thorn-bushes), though
superficially straightforward, presents some etymological
H. Peake, The Archaeology of Berkshire
(1931) 229; Itinerary
: A.L.F. Rivet, Britannia
(1970) 58; name: K. H. Jackson, ibid. 79; Thatcham:
W. E. Harris, Trans. Newbury and District Field Club
7 (1934-37) 219-55.