(Rottenburg am Neckar) Baden-Württemburg, Germany.
A Roman settlement
midway on the Neckar, ca. 50 km SE of Stuttgart. Its
name is found in the Peutinger Table
(4.1) and mentioned in many inscriptions (CIL
XIII, 2506, 6358, 6365,
6384, 9084, 11726, 11727). As its name suggests, the
Roman settlement superseded a Celtic one. From 85 to
90, it was part of the Roman Empire and the seat of a
procurator of the saltus Sumelocennensis. Later, it became capital of the civitas Sumelocennensis. A city wall
over 2 km long survives and the ruins of various buildings, among them a bath currently accessible under the
modern gymnasium. The town was provided with water
by a stone-built aqueduct 7 km long, of which numerous
traces may still be seen. The finds are preserved at the
Württemburg Landesmuseum in Stuttgart and at the
Sülchgau-Museum in Rottenburg am Neckar.
F. Haug & G. Sixt, Die römischen Inschriften und Bildwerke Württembergs
(2d ed. 1914)
199ff; O. Paret, ORL
B, 61 (1936); D. Planck, “Neues
zur römischen Vicusmauer in Rottenburg a.N.,” Der
11 (1967) 9ff.