At the S extremity of the Lake Sinoe the ruins of a walled city, probably
founded by the Greek colonists from Histria, in the 6th c.
B.C., to judge from ceramic fragments. Nearby, toward
the S, lies another rural settlement defended by a vallum
and a ditch. On the surface were found a considerable
number of architectural and sculptural fragments, and
Greek and Latin inscriptions, dating from the Hellenistic
and Roman periods. On the W side of the modern village
are many tumuli. At Vadu was located the vicus Celeris,
mentioned in an inscription discovered here.
J. Weiss, Die Dobrudscha im Altertum
(1911) 58-60; R. Vulpe, Histoire Ancienne de la Dobroudja
(1938) 193, 194, 209, 221.