previous next

VELEIA or Beleia (Iruña) Alava, Spain.

The Notitia Dignitatum, the Antonine Itinerary, and the Ravenna Cosmographer note this oppidum, 11 km from modern Vitoria. It forms a triangular area enclosed by walls, and had a native Iberian population, for which a Roman one was substituted on the occasion of the Cantabrian wars. The site flourished in the 2d c., from which the chief remains date; it was abandoned towards the 4th c., although its walls survived into the 5th. Finds include specimens of terra sigillata, column shafts and bases, and glass. The most outstanding remains are a torso armed with breastplate, now in the museum of Vitoria, and an unidentified female statue.


G. Nieto Gallo, El oppidum de Iruiña (Alava) (1958).


hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: