(Enoz) Thrace, Turkey.
A harbor town
at the mouth of the Hebros (Maritza, Meriç) river. Its
Thracian name was Poltyobria, after the legendary
Thracian king Poltys (Strab. 7. frag. 52; Steph. Byz.),
but the name Amos appears very early, associated with
the Trojan war (Il
. 4.520). The name Apsinthos is also
recorded (Steph. Byz.).
The town was resettled by Greek colonists from the
Aeolic region (Alopekonessos, Mytilene, Kyme) in the
7th c. B.C. It occupied a high ridge dominating a good
harbor at the river mouth, which has silted up so as to
become almost unusable. The abundant coinage of the
city shows that it was a significant economic center,
but almost nothing is known of its history. The town
is mentioned sporadically in accounts of Athenian,
Thracian, Macedonian, and Roman activity in the region,
but never in an important role.
The ancient site is presumed to be approximately coextensive with the modern town. The acropolis is occupied by the mediaeval castle of the Gattilusi, which probably incorporates any surviving fragments of
Classical architecture. No systematic survey or excavation has been done.
F. W. Hasluck, “Monuments of the
15 (1908-9) 249-57MI
; S. Casson,
Macedonia, Thrace and Illyria
May, Amos, Its History and Coinage
T. S. MAC KAY