previous next

ANDERIDA (Pevensey) Sussex, England.

Now several km inland on a hillock overlooking the Pevensey levels, which in the Roman period provided a navigable approach. Apart from a few fragments of tiles stamped CL BR (Classis Britannica) of the 2d or 3d c. A.D., the principal occupation began soon after 340 with the construction of a stone-walled fort belonging to the series of Saxon Shore Forts built to protect the S and E coasts of Britain from pirate raids. The fort is mentioned in the Notitia Dignitatum as Anderido or Anderida and was garrisoned by a Numerus Abulcorum. According to the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle the inhabitants of the fort were massacred by Saxon troops in 491. The site was used as a castle during the Norman Conquest and remained sporadically in use until WW II.

The Roman wall, enclosing an irregular oval-shaped area of ca. 4 ha, is 3.6 in wide and built of flint and sandstone rubble faced with coursed greensand and ironstone blocks. Forward-projecting D-shaped bastions, integral with the wall, were spaced so as to provide covering fire to protect all approaches. The main gate lay on the E side between two close-spaced bastions: it was a simple opening 3 m wide, flanked by rectangular guard chambers of which only the foundations now survive. There were two other gates, an S-shaped postern in the N wall and a simple opening through the W wall. Traces of timber buildings have been discovered in the interior.


L. F. Salzman, Excavations on the site of the Roman Fortress at Pevensey (1907); id., Excavations at Pevensey: second report (1908); J. P. Bushe-Fox, “Some Notes on Roman Coastal Defences,” JRS 22 (1932) 60ff; C. Peers, Pevensey Castle (1960).


hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: