City in Lydia midway on
the road between Sardis and Pergamon (Strab. 13.4.4
founded by Eumenes II of Pergamon (197-160 B.C.).
Cicero refers to it as well deserving and prosperous
. 29.71). It is on a hill half an hour's walk N of
modern Mecidiye (formerly Palamut). Partly preserved
is a large wall circuit with some 24 towers, of Hellenistic
coursed trapezoidal (and some polygonal) masonry. Inside are remains of a rectangular building (gymnasium?).
On a lower hill to the NW, connected by a saddle, is
a smaller fortress. The main wall is thought to date earlier than the 190s. Nearby there was apparently a Macedonian colony, Doidye, not certainly located.
A. Fontrier, Μουσεῖον καὶ βιβλ. Ἐυαγγ.σχολ
(1886) 61f; BCH
11 (1887) 85; C. Schuchhardt,
13 (1888) 2-17; 24 (1899) 153-56P
; J. Keil &
A. von Premerstein, “Bericht über eine Reise in Lydien
53, 2 (1908) 45M
; id., “Bericht über eine zweite Reise, 1908,” ibid., 54, 2 (1911) 53-58; P. Herrmann, “Neue Inschriften zur Hist. Landeskunde
von Lydien,” ibid. 77, 1 (1959) 6-10; L. Robert, Villes
de l'Asie Mineure
(2d ed. 1962) 24ff, 246-49MI
T. S. MACKAY