Rhineland Palatinate, Germany.
A large Roman necropolis opposite Bingen
was uncovered during the construction of the railway
station. The many military gravestones (today in the
museums at Bad Kreuznach and Wiesbaden) covered
graves with burial urns and sarcophagi, indicating that
the necropolis was used from the 1st c. A.D. to the 4th.
The Breucus gravestone (Bad Kreuznach Museum)
records the action of Pannonian troops in the province
of Germania Superior. (See also Bingium.)
E. Schmidt, “Römische Grabdenkmäler
vom Ruppertsberg bei Bingen,” BonnJbb
28 (1860) 79-83; id., “Neue römische Inschriften vom Ruppertsberg bei
29-30 (1860) 205-23, pl. III; G. Behrens,