or Chimera (Himarë) S Albania.
The name survives from ancient times through a bishopric
of Chimara. The village, situated in a strong position on
the lip of a gorge, is set among the ruined fortifications
of the ancient city, which was the capital of the Chaonians
of this rocky, steep coast. A small plain below Chimera
has an exposed beach, and the place was famous for its
so-called royal spring of fresh water (Plin. HN
It was a place of refuge for shipping on the very dangerous Ceraunian coast.
R. L. Beaumont, “Corinth, Ambracia
and Apollonia,” JHS
72 (1952) 64, 70; N.G.L. Hammond,
(1967) 124, 679, 699.