One part of the ancient site is situated on the sides
of the valley of the Meurthe, a short distance from
its junction with the Moselle; another is in a smaller
adjacent valley which descends from the Haye massif.
The first discoveries of ancient remains were made at
the end of the 19th c., at the locality named Le Noirval.
These consist of fragments of stelne (now in the Musée
Lorrain at Nancy) depicting divinities and probably related to an iron-working establishment exploiting the
local ore; the slag piles are still visible.
In 1969 housing construction at the NW exit of the
modern village (at the locality named au Sarrazin)
brought to light the remains of a Gallo-Roman structure,
apparently a villa rustica. The buildings are divided into
two quite distinct parts. To the S are outbuildings used
for farming or handicrafts, with a circular annex, possibly a dovecote. To the N are living rooms, one of which
was plastered and painted in polychrome geometric motifs. In the middle a bathing pool and hypocaust were
identified. At the S end in a cellar furnished with niches
a very large hoard of bronze objects was found; they
were no doubt rejects intended for recasting. It comprised, on the one hand, sections of pipes and faucets,
pieces of harness, parts of household effects (fragments
of candelabra, fittings for furniture legs, various zoomorphic ornaments) and, on the other, a statue of an adolescent Dionysos (height: 0.6 m). These objects are preserved in the Musée Lorrain at Nancy.
M. Toussaint, Répertoire archéologique
(1947) 14-15; R. Billoret in Gallia