small settlement on the Fosse Way near Warwick. The
defenses enclose a polygonal area of ca. 3.2 ha and are
of two periods. They were constructed in the late 2d c.
and after the middle of the 4th c. a stone wall 3.3 in
thick and gates were added. At the same time the ditches
were recut, making the large single ditch to be seen
on the ground today. The N gate, excavated in 1961,
had a single portal, with towers projecting inwards from
the wall on each side. There is evidence of interior buildings, some with stone foundations. Excavations have
shown building and rebuilding from the Antonine period on, and graves on the tail of the rampart indicate
continuity into the 5th and 6th c. The settlement extends
for a considerable area around the enclosure, and a villa
is known ca. 1.6 km to the SE at Ewe Field Farm.
1 (1904) 234-35;
52 (1962) 170-72; 58 (1968) 188; Trans.
Birmingham Arch. Soc
. 49 (1923) 58-60; excavation reports forthcoming.