previous next

FORUM TRAIANI (Fordongianus) Sardinia, Italy.

In W central Sardinia on the left bank of the Tirso river, a Roman way station where the most important roads of the island converged and a military center of notable importance to central Sardinia. Mentioned in the Peutinger Table and in the Itineraries (It. Ant. 82), the locality has been known since ancient times for its hot springs (Ptol. 3.3.7). Procopius (De Aedif. 6.7.12-13) relates that the center was enclosed by walls under Justinian, but not a trace of them remains.

Of the few remains, only the bathing establishments have been explored. They were constructed on the left bank of the Tirso and arranged on several levels. It is not possible to reconstruct the general plan. The lower level is covered by a vaulted ceiling, and on the long sides are porticos, also covered by vaults and illuminated by skylights. The lower level is built of squared masonry, the upper of brick.

The scattered tombs in the surrounding countryside at Is Ortus and Sa Senora are few and late.


BIBLIOGRAPHY

Fiorelli, NSc (1881) 175ff; A. Taramelli, NSc (1903) 469ffPI; G. Maetzke, Boll. del Centro per la Storia dell'Architecttura 17 (1961) 54.

D. MANCONI

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: