(or Cabyle) Bulgaria.
On the right
bank of the river Tonzos (modern Tundza) near the
city of Yambol, a settlement of the Bronze Age (2d
millennium B.C.). The Thracian city was conquered
by the Macedonians in 342-341 (Dem. 8.44
It was an economic and trade center of the state of
the Thracian king Seuthes III (323-311 B.C.) (Theopomp.
fr. 246; Harp. s.v.; Strab. 7.320
; Steph. Byz. 346.1). It
was conquered by Rome in 72 B.C. (Eutr. 6.10), and it
became a city in the Roman province of Thracia. The
territory of the city included the middle reaches of the
river Tonzos. In A.D. 378 a battle was fought between the
Romans and the West Goths nearby (Amm. Marc.
31.15.5). It was a rest stop on the road to Adrianopolis
(Edirne) and Anchialus (Pomorie). In the 4th c. it was
the seat of a bishop but disappeared in the 6th c.
In the 3d c. B.C. the city minted its own coins. There
was an agora, a temple of Artemis-Hekate-Phosphorion
and a temple of Apollo (IG Bulg
. III/2, n. 1731). In
A.D. 145 immigrants from Perinthos erected votive inscriptions to Herakles Agoraios. Excavations have uncovered a large basilica of late antique date and parts
of the defense wall. The finds from Kabyle are in the
Regional Museum of Yambol.
E. Oberhummer, RE
10 (1919) col.
1455ff; D. P. Dimitrov, Latomus
28 (1957) = Hommages à W. Deonna
185-89; Head, Hist. Num
. 278; T.
Gerasimov, “The Alexandrine tetradrachmes of Kabyle
in Thrace,” Centennial Volume of the American Numism.
. (1958) 273; id., “Sur la numismatique de la ville
de Cabyle (bulg.),” Bull. Inst. arch. bulg
. 32 (1972)