City in Cilicia Aspera, 14 km SE of Gazipaşa. The site is not proved by
inscriptions, but may be regarded as virtually certain.
The city is listed by Hierokles and the Notitiae
, but other
ancient mentions seem rather to refer to a city and river
of the same name farther E in Cilicia Pedias. Lamos was
the center of the region Lamotis, with a harbor at Charadros.
The ruins are on a high hill above the village, some
600 m above the sea, and on a second summit to the E.
The more conspicuous remains are on the W hill; they
consist almost entirely of walls, including part of a circuit
wall of poor quality masonry and evidently late date.
The main gate, however, is standing, and carries a fine
lintel block with a dedication to Gallienus and a relief
of an ox's head on which an eagle stands. Just inside the
gate is a large underground reservoir. On the saddle
between the two summits is a large building of uncertain
purpose; one wall is standing nearly to a man's height.
On the E hill is a small temple of Vespasian and Titus,
badly ruined, and higher up numerous built tombs, some
originally very handsome. Less than 1 km to the E is
a stadium of rather less than full length, with rows of
seats on either side and two entrances in its N side.
R. Paribeni & P. Romanelli, MonAnt
(1915) 148; G. E. Bean & T. B. Mitford, AnatSt
(1962) 207-11; id., Journeys in Rough Cilicia 1964-1968