(Üveyik Burnu) Turkey.
Pisidia, near Karakent on the W shore of the lake of
Burdur. It is first mentioned as one of the places passed
by Manlius on his march through Asia Minor in 189 B.C.
(Polyb. 21.36; Livy 38.15
); it surrendered to him voluntarily. Polybios and Livy give the name as Lysinoe; Ptolemy has Lysinia, Hierokles the corrupt form Lysenara.
The coins and inscriptions confirm the form Lysinia. The
site is identified by a statue base of Hadrian still in situ,
erected by the Council and People.
The ruins are on a rocky hill directly above the lake.
Numerous short stretches of terrace wall are to be seen,
but the city was not apparently defended by a fortification wall. On the summit are two platforms, artificially
leveled. The S slope and foot of the hill are covered with
sherds of Roman date and loose building blocks; outlines
of buildings are discernible, and several rock-cut sarcophagi, but nothing but the statue base is standing. Other
ancient stones are in the village of Karakent, including
a milestone of Constantine showing three miles, and a
handsome phallos stone.
G. E. Bean, AnatSt
9 (1959) 78-81.
G. E. BEAN