or Petnelissos, Turkey.
Pisidia, probably at a site in the hills above Kozan, 30
km N of Perge. It was listed by Artemidoros among
the cities of Pisidia (Strab. 570), and is recorded also
by Ptolemy. In or soon after 220 B.C. it was besieged
by the Selgians; the siege was raised with some difficulty
by Achaios and his lieutenant Garsyeris (Polyb. 5.72).
The coinage is of the 2d and 3d c. A.D. Of the city's origin
nothing is known.
The site near Kozan is not definitely identified; none
of more than 20 inscriptions found there gives the city's
name. But the situation is appropriate, and no rival site
is known in the region. The ruins are considerable and
cover a wide area. The city wall is preserved on the N
and E, and especially to the S, where the acropolis is
defended by a double line. In the lower town is a stretch
of wall with two gate-towers, one preserved to a considerable height, and a similar stretch, also with a gate,
higher up to the N. In the middle of the city is the
agora, with rooms on two sides and a basilica adjoining;
another building with columns is of uncertain purpose.
Low down on the W are the scanty ruins of a temple
some 16 by 10 m. The necropoleis lay outside the gates
on N and S; sarcophagi are most frequent, but there are
two heroa, one at the NW corner, one near the S gate.
These appear to be of Hellenistic date, the rest is Roman.
Also near the S gate is a Byzantine church, and another
by the road from the valley. Water was supplied in cisterns, two of which are still used by the peasants.
O. Moretti, Annuario
3 (1916-20) 79-133MI
G. E. BEAN