previous next

PHINTIAS (Licata) Sicily.

A Greek city on Mt. Eknomos at the mouth of the river Himera, between Gela and Agrigento. The city took its name from the Akragan tyrant who founded it at the beginning of the 3d c. B.C. for the citizens of Gela, whose city he had destroyed in 286-282 B.C. Inscriptions and coins show that the new inhabitants long retained the name Geloi, which still appears in an inscription of the 1st c. B.C. listing victorious ephebes. Diodorus Siculus mentions (22.2) that the city had a large agora with porticos; however, since no regular excavation has yet taken place, the Hellenistic and Roman material which can be connected with Phintias comes from chance finds.

Before the founding of Phintias, Mt. Eknomos was occupied by archaic settlements. The first was probably a Greek center founded by Geloan colonists in their march along the S coast of Sicily. Later, during the second quarter of the 6th c. B.C., a phrourion was founded by the Akragan tyrant Phalaris (Diod. 19.2). This archaic phase is attested by Corinthian, Ionic, and Geloan pottery and figurines, sporadically found in the area and at present exhibited in the Museums of Palermo and Agrigento. A recent, though rather improbable, hypothesis would locate the Sikanian city of Inicos on the Eknomos.


D. Adamesteanu, Atti III Congresso Internazionale di Epigrafia Greca e Latina (1959) 425ff; id. in EAA 4 (1961); E. De Miro, La Parola del Passato 49 (1956) 266ff; id., Kokalos 8 (1962) 124ff; G. Caputo, NSc (1965) 189ff; V. La Bua, Atti Accademia Scienze Lettere e Arti di Palermo (1966-67) 4ff.


hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: