A town in Macedonia
ca. 42 km NE of Bitola (Heraclea Lyncestis). It lies in
the NE corner of the rich Pelagonian plain in the ancient
district of Denniopus and at the entrance to the Pletvar
pass that leads to Paeonia.
There are several ancient sites in the immediate vicinity including one at Markov Grad, a suburb of Prilep.
A large Roman necropolis is known there and parts of
numerous walls have been found; the settlement was
probably the ancient Ceramiae mentioned in the Peutinger Table
. Roman remains are also known in the vicinity
of the Varoš monastery, built on the steep slopes of the
hill, which was later occupied by a Slavic and mediaeval
community. A large number of early Roman funeral
monuments, some with sculpted reliefs of the deceased
or of the Thracian Rider and other inscribed monuments
of an official nature, are in the courtyard of the church
below the S slope of Varoš. Some of the larger of those
monuments were built into the walls of the church.
There has been only limited excavation within the
limits of Prilep and most of this has been concerned
either with the later Slavic community, various chance
discoveries, or with the necropolis. The burial gifts found
in the graves indicate a flourishing community throughout the Imperial period. The small objects are in the
National Museum at Prilep and include a large number
of early Roman glass vessels, numerous bronze statuettes
of Mercury, and an interesting sequence of pottery types.
The monastery of Treskavec, in the mountains ca. 10
km N of Prilep, is probably the site of the early Roman
town of Kolobaisē. The site, at the edge of a small upland
plain, is at a height of over 1100 m above sea level and
is a natural citadel. The name of the early town
is recorded on a long inscription on stone which deals
with a local cult of Ephesian Artemis. The inscription
was reused as a base for a cross on top of one of the
church domes. Other inscriptions at Treskavec include
several 1st c. Roman dedications to Apollo.
The necropolis of the town is to the SW of the monastery where the remains of a chamber tomb and a sculpted and inscribed marble funeral monument (1st to 2d c.) can be seen.
An important site in the vicinity is Bela Crkva, some
6 km W of Styberra, where the Hellenistic town of
Alkomenai was probably located. It is on the Erigon
river. Rebuilt in the Early Roman period, it was a stronghold of the Macedonian kings, perhaps from the time
of Alexander the Great, and was at the Pelagonian entrance to a pass leading to Illynia. Part of the city wall,
a gate, and a few buildings of the Roman period were
uncovered here in excavations. All recent finds from
these sites are in the museum at Prilep.
N. Vulić, Spomenik
77 (1934) 58; F.
Papazoglu, Makedonski gradovi u rimsko doba
I. Mikulčić, Pelagonija