Site in Lycia, 5 km
W of the mouth of the Xanthos. Mentioned only in the
(248), which places it 60 stades from the
river mouth. It has been thought that this is the same
place as Ptolemy's Kydna, which he calls an inland city.
Neither of these terms is in fact applicable to the site at
Özlen, which is merely a fortified enclosure, now known
as Gâvurağli, occupying the E slope of a hill near the
shore; the wall is in excellent and well-preserved polygonal masonry, with eleven towers and seven stairways
leading up to the battlements. The only building in the
interior is a small church. Four or five inscriptions have
been found in and around the fort; all are of Imperial
C. Fellows, Lycia
(1840) 161-63; E.
Petersen & F. von Luschan, Reisen in Lykien
II, 1 (1920) p. 91.
G. E. BEAN