previous next

PYRASOS (Nea Anchialos) Thessaly, Greece.

The harbor town of Thessalian Thebes on a small hill overlooking the Bay of Volo. A small fish pond between the hill and the sea represents the site of the ancient harbor, known in later times as Demetrion from the early and important Sanctuary of Demeter and Kore. The site of the sanctuary is disputed, but numerous gravestones attest the international character of the harbor. Stählin found an early circuit wall of field stones and mudbrick overlaid by Byzantine remains near the top of the hill, and other similar walls at the foot on the NE and E.


BIBLIOGRAPHY

Strab. 9.5.14; F. Stählin in AthMitt (1906) lOf, Das hellenische Thessalien (1924) 173M.

M. H. MC ALLISTER

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: