previous next

SATRICUM (Conca) Italy.

A small Volscian town in the coastal plain of Latium on the road from Antium to Velitrae. It first appears in history as an ally of the Latins in the battle of Lake Regillus (Dion.Hal. 5.61.3). According to Livy it was the scene in 377 B.C. of a battle in which the Romans defeated a combined army of Latins and Volscians. When the Antiates then wished to capitulate to the Romans, the Latin forces withdrew and in their fury burned Satricum. All but the Temple of Mater Matuta perished in the fire; it was saved by a miraculous voice from the temple that ordered the removal of the brands from its walls (Livy 6.32.4-33.5). A repetition of these events is recorded for 347-346 B.C., following a rebuilding of Satricum by a colony from Antium (Livy 7.27.2-8). Thereafter Satricum is not heard of, though the temple long continued to be a pilgrimage shrine.

The site was excavated in 1896, and the temple area thoroughly explored. It was an unusually important discovery in every way, but no full publication of it has appeared. The temple building shows at least two major periods of construction, the earlier on a different orientation from the later, possibly built over a pit belonging to a time when this was an open-air sanctuary. The material from the pit belongs to the 7th c. and first half of the 6th. The older temple building may have been peripteral or may have been of Tuscan plan with alae; there were, in any event, columns down its flanks. The later temple was certainly peripteral, and the foundations for steps around it make it look very much more Greek than Italic. In the later temple there were four columns on the short sides, eight on the long; the cella was long and narrow with a pronaos ending in antae without columns between.

The architectural terracottas fall into two groups, possibly representing the two building periods. The earlier (third quarter of the 6th c. B.C.) comprises antefixes, a frieze showing pairs of riders, a plaque with a gorgon, plaques with animals, a hanging frieze of purely formal design, and eaves tiles. The later (early 5th c.) has pedimental sculptures, acroteria and figured columen plaques, as well as an extraordinary range of antefixes, including the famous series of couples of satyrs and maenads, at least five sets of revetment plaques, raking cornice, pierced cresting, and eaves tiles. It is probably the richest find of a single temple decoration to date.

Associated with the earliest sanctuary were discovered foundations of huts, round, elliptical, and rectangular in plan, over which lay foundations in blocks of tufa that could not be dated. In exploring the environs a number of tombs were discovered, as well as a number of structures that indicate occupation of the site into the Roman Empire. The material from the temple, on the other hand, stops in the 2d c. B.C. All the material recovered is now in the Museo della Villa Giulia.

The site is now much overgrown, and an ancient agger fortification without stone facing which used to bound the city site on the W has disappeared in the course of the last 20 years, presumably a victim of agricultural advances with heavy machinery.


F. Barnabei, A. Cozza, R. Mengarelli, NSc (1896) 23-48, 69, 99-102, 167, 190-200; A. Della Seta, Museo di Villa Giulia (1918) 233-320; A. Andrén, Architectural Terracottas from Etrusco-Italic Temples (1940) 453-77, pls. 137-52.


hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: