URBS SALVIA POLLENTINORUM
An important center in inland
Picenum from which roads radiated to Tolentinum,
Ricina, Pausulne, Firmum, and Falerio. Probably a rebuilding of an older community (Pollentini) by a Salvius
ca. 60 B.C., it flourished under the Empire and was made
a colony by the end of the 1st c. A.D. It was inscribed
in the tribus Velina. It was completely destroyed by
The city, roughly rectangular in plan, lay on a slope
E of modern Urbisaglia, near the church of La Maestà.
The towered walls are well preserved, 2 km in circuit,
faced with brick. The ruins are impressive: an amphitheater (96.6 x 74.6 m) and theater (both recently
excavated, both Flavian), baths, an aqueduct, a reservoir,
and tombs. Numerous inscriptions have been recovered,
some of which, together with figured aqueduct tiles, are
in the Palazzo Comunale of Urbisaglia.
H. Nissen, Italische Landeskunde
74 (1959) 196-201 (B. Andreae)PI
7 (1966) 1075 (G. Annibaldi); Atti del Convegno sui Centri Storici delle Marche
L. RICHARDSON, JR.