(Ebchester) Durham, England.
Site of Roman fort of ca. 1.2 ha, on Dere Street
overlooking the bridge over the river Derwent, 16 km SE
of Corstopitum (NZ 104555). It was occupied from the
Flavian period to the end of the 4th c. (not necessarily
continuously), and the original clay rampart was reinforced by a stone wall, probably under Hadrian. Traces of a late barrack block have been found in the W corner, and of a bath house in the E one. The garrison in the 3d
c. was Cohors IV Breucorum (RIB
E. Birley, Trans. Archit. and Archaeol.
Soc. of Durham and Northumberland
11 (1958) 57; M.
G. Jarrett, Arch. Ael
. 38 (1960) 193-229; A. Reed, ibid.
42 (1964) 173-85; id., JRS
55 (1965) 203; B. Dobson,
Trans. Archit. and Archaeol. Soc. of Durham and Northumberland
NS 2 (1970) 38.
J. C. MANN