The ἀγορὰ Λύκειος in Argos lay at the eastern foot of the Larisa, or citadel; as Livy (32. 25) describes it, “subiectum arci forum.” The temple of Apollo “Λύκειος” was probably on the north side of the agora, opposite to a temple of Zeus “Νεμεαῖος”. Before its eastern front stood a monument representing a wolf slaying a bull, in memory of the omen which had given the sovereignty to Danaüs ( Paus. 2. 19. 3). Λύκειος must be ultimately traced to the root “λυκ”, lux, as designating the god of light. But it was popularly connected with “λύκος”. Sophocles here explains it by λυκοκτόνος, an attribute suitable to Apollo as protector of flocks and herds (“νόμιος”, O. T. 1103 n.). The “Λύκειος” is invoked especially as a destroyer of foes ( O. T. 203 n.: Aesch. Theb. 145). See Appendix.
This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.