previous next

TESTACEUS MONS

Monte Testaccio, the modern name for the artificial hill, south of the Aventine and the horrea Galbiana in Region XIII, which rises to a height of 50 metres above sea-level, and is about a kilometre in circumference. It is composed entirely of fragments of earthen jars (amphorae, dolia) in which corn, wine, and produce of various kinds had been brought to the horrea from Africa, Spain, and Gaul. Many of these jars were inscribed on the neck or handle, and a large number of these inscriptions have been recovered (CIL xv. pp. 491-659). They date from 140 to 251 A.D., but it is certain that the dumping of debris on this spot began as early as the time of Augustus, and that the hill had reached its present height by the middle of the second century. The distribution of the debris shows that the hill rose in the midst of the horrea. Under one of its sides the tomb of the RUSTICELII (q.v.) was found (HJ 177-178; Ann. d. Inst. 1878, 118-192; 1885, 232-234; CIL xv. pp. 491-492, 560-565; BC 1911, 246-260; 1915, 41-46, 279, 291; 1914, 241-250; 1915, 41-46, 279-290; Mem. Soc. Nat. Ant. France, 1915, '53; D. Orano, II Testaccio; il monte ed il quartiere dalle origini al 1910, Pescara, 1910).

hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
250 AD (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: