the headquarters, under the empire, of the organised
athletes of Rome. The name, curia athletarum (acletarum) appears in
one Latin inscription (CIL vi. 10154
; 10153 refers to it) ; on numerous
Greek inscriptions it appears as ξυστικὴ σύνοδος τῶν . . . ἀθλητῶν
, 1055, 1102-1110). These inscriptions were found between S.
Pietro in Vincoli and S. Martino, indicating that the building was in
the immediate vicinity of the thermae Traianae, and an attempt has
been made to identify it with a basilica-shaped hall just north of the
thermae (BC 1891, 185-209
). This curia was given to the association
in 143 A.D. by the Emperor Antoninus Pius (HJ 314).