a temple to which there is only one reference in ancient literature
(Hist. Aug. Trig. Tyr. 25: Tetricorum domus hodieque extat in monte
Caelio inter duos lucos contra Isium Metellinum pulcherrima
in the Regionary Catalogue is called Isis et Serapis, and on
the Haterii relief (Mon. d. Inst. v. pi. 7) is an arch with the inscription
ARCUS AD ISIS
(q.v.). This arch is evidently on the via Labicana. From
this evidence it is clear that a temple of Isis and Serapis stood in Region III
near the via Labicana, important enough to give its name to the region.
It was also called Isium, and was built or restored by some Metellus.
There is no indication of the date, but it was probably after the beginning
of the empire, and perhaps as late as the second century. In the time of
Constantine the name continued (Not. Reg. III). The name of this Isis
appears on one inscription that was found in the via Labicana near the
baths of Trajan (CIL vi. 30915
; Isidi Lydiae educatrici valvas cum Anubi
et ara Mucianus
Aug. lib. proc.; PT 134).
The temple was in the south-east part of the region, but its exact
site is difficult to determine, for architectural and sculptural remains
which may well have belonged to such a shrine have been found scattered
over a considerable area of this section, from the via Labicana north to
beyond the via Macchiavelli (BC 1875, 245
; 1886, 208
; 1887, 132-136
; NS 1887, 140
; 1888, 626
; Athenaeum, 1888, 855; Mitt.
). The most probable site, however, is between S. Clemente
and SS. Pietro e Marcellino, near the western end of the latter, where
credible authorities state that in 1653 ruins of a temple decorated in
Egyptian style were found (for references, see HJ 304, n. 49).1
must then have been just inside the boundary of Region III
LR 360; BC 1915, 115-122
; DAP 2. xiii. 295-296).