OBELISCI MAUSOLEI AUGUSTI
two obelisks that stood in front of the
mausoleum of Augustus in the campus Martius (Amm. Marcell. xvii.
. 16; Not. Brev.). As they are not mentioned by Pliny (NH xxxvi.
) nor by Strabo in his description of the mausoleum (v. 3. 8), they
probably were not brought from Egypt before the time of Domitian.
One of these obelisks, which are a little over 14 metres high, was excavated
before 1527 behind the church of S. Rocco 1
and set up behind S. Maria
Maggiore in 1587; the other was found at the same time, but was not
excavated till a little before 1550 (compare Fulvio, Antiquitates Urbis
lxxi', with Aldrovandi, Statue di Roma 314; cf. LS ii. 15
), and was not
moved until 1782, when Pius VI placed it in the Piazza del Quirinale
(LS iv. 152
; BC 1914, 382
). They are without hieroglyphics (BC 1897, 223-225
=Ob. Eg. 147-149).