previous next


the obelisk now standing on the Pincian hill, which was brought to Rome by Hadrian. The hieroglyphics were probably cut in Rome, and state that the obelisk was erected on the site where Antinous was buried, just outside the limits of the city (Mitt. 1896, 113-121; BC 1891, 277-279; 1897, 208-215=Ob. Eg. 132-139; Erman in Preuss.Abh. 1917, Abh. 4. 10-17), but it is uncertain whether this means that the body of Antinous was actually brought to Rome or not. The fragments of this obeliskwere set up in 1570 in the vigna Saccoccia outside porta Maggiore at a point marked by an inscription recording the fact, which was fixed to one of the piers of the aqua Claudia, about 360 metres east of the Aurelian wall. This was made one of the piers of the acqua Felice in 1585, The original site of the obelisk was probably not far from this point (Mitt. 1896, 122-130; HJ 251; LS iii. 165). In 1633 it was removed by the Barberini to their palace, and afterwards presented to Clement XIV (1769-1777). It lay in the Giardino della Pigna in the Vatican until 1822, when Pius VII erected it on the Pincian. The obelisk is about 9 metres high, and may have stood at the entrance to the tomb or cenotaph of Antinous, perhaps with another of the same size (NS 1922, 137-where the old identification with the horti Variani or spei Veteris is still retained: T x. 386).

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: