a building for musical performances, erected by Domitian in the
campus Martius, probably near the Stadium (Suet. Dom. 5; Eutrop.
; Chron. 146; Hier. a. Abr. 2105). It was restored by Apollodorus in the reign of Trajan (Cass. Dio lxix. 4
) and contained 10600 loca,
that is, places for about 5000 spectators (cf. BC 1894, 310-324
). In the
fourth century it was regarded as among the most conspicuous monuments
in Rome (Amm. Marcell. xvi. 10
. 14); in the fifth as one of the seven
mira praecipua (Pol. Silv. 545). It is possible that the artificial elevation,
called monte Giordano, covers its ruins (HJ 594).