previous next


a building for musical performances, erected by Domitian in the campus Martius, probably near the Stadium (Suet. Dom. 5; Eutrop. vii. 23; Chron. 146; Hier. a. Abr. 2105). It was restored by Apollodorus in the reign of Trajan (Cass. Dio lxix. 4) and contained 10600 loca, that is, places for about 5000 spectators (cf. BC 1894, 310-324). In the fourth century it was regarded as among the most conspicuous monuments in Rome (Amm. Marcell. xvi. 10. 14); in the fifth as one of the seven mira praecipua (Pol. Silv. 545). It is possible that the artificial elevation, called monte Giordano, covers its ruins (HJ 594).

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: