previous next


a temple constructed by Maxentius, and consecrated to Constantine (Aur. Victor. 40. 26: cuncta opera quae magnifice construxerat urbis fanum atque basilicam Flavii meritis patres sacravere). It has recently been identified with the round structure generally called the TEMPLUM DIVI ROMULI, which has an entrance on the Sacra via, the bronze doors of which are still preserved. There is a facade of four columns, behind which on each side is a niche. The construction shows a clever use of an awkward triangular site (RA 215-217). See PAX, TEMPLUM; and cf. BCr 1913, 143-165; YW 1913, 21, 22; JRS 1919, 177-179; DR 376, 377; RAP iii. 94-98; AJA 1927, 1-18; HFP 48, 49.

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: