erected on the site of the PORTA ESQUILINA
(q.v.) in 262
A.D. by one M. Aurelius Victor (BC 1920, 170
), and dedicated to the
Emperor Gallienus (CIL vi. 1106
; ILS 548). It stands in the Via di S.
Vito, close to the church of the same name. The existing single arch is of
travertine, 8.80 metres high, 7.30 wide, and 3.50 deep. The piers which
support it are 1.40 metres wide and 3.50 deep, and outside of them are
two pilasters of the same depth, with Corinthian capitals. The entablature is 2 metres high with the dedicatory inscription on the architrave.
Beneath the spring of the arch on each side is a simple cornice. A drawing
(HJ 343) of the fifteenth century shows small side arches, but all traces
of them have disappeared (PAS ii. 76
; Sangallo, Barb. 25').