previous next


the general offices of the Praefectus urbi during the empire, which consisted of at least three parts-the scrinia or archives (Hist. Aug. Aur. 9), the secretarium or prefect's office, and the tribunalia, where he rendered his decisions. A restoration is recorded in the fourth century by the prefect Junius Valerius Bellicius (CIL vi. 31959; NS 1897, 60). The secretarium was called tellurense, which indicates that the building stood in Tellure, or in vico Tellurensi, near the temple of TELLUS (q.v.). No trace of the prefecture remains, but the epigraphical evidence points to a site just west of the thermae Traianae on the Esquiline, within the area now bounded by the Vie di S. Pietro in Vincoli, della Polveriera and dei Serpenti (BC 1892, 19-37; Mitt. 1893, 298-302; RhM 1894, 629-630 NS 1922, 219; HJ 306-307; cf. 329, n. 15). Adjacent to the praefectura was a porticus (BC 1891, 342-358),1 in which copies of the edicts preserved in the archives were set up for inspection (cf. PORTICUS THERMARUM TRAIANARUM).

1 Cf. CIL vi. 31893

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: