A.that which is put round as a girdle: hence,
b. bandage, Hp. Fist.9.
2. φρενῶν δ., = διάφραγμα 11, Arist.PA672b10; “τὸ δ. τὸ τοῦ θώρακος” Id.HA497a23: of the pelvis, ib.493a22; partition, Id.PA 681a3.
3. cornice or frieze in Architecture, Thphr.Lap.7.
4. gangway, giving access to the seats in a theatre, CIG(add.)2755 (Aphrodisias), Vitr.5.6.7.
5. vein, layer, marking, in stone, Dsc. 5.126.
6. isthmus, Plu.Phoc.13.
7. layer, stratum of atmosphere, Herm. ap. Stob.1.49.69; vein, of copper ore, Dsc.5.74 (pl.).