The chief town of the Rutuli in Latium, situated about three miles from the sea, one of the
most ancient places in Italy, and the capital of Turnus. It was conquered and colonized by the
Romans B.C. 442 (Livy, iv. 9).
Harry Thurston Peck. Harpers Dictionary of Classical Antiquities. New York. Harper and Brothers. 1898.
The National Endowment for the Humanities provided support for entering this text.