), a case or box where rings were kept (Mart. 11.59
). Such a ring-case has been
recognised in a round ivory box found at Pompeii (Mus. Borb.
ix. pl. 14.8): from the centre of the lid projects a vertical stick, on
which the rings might be slid when the wearer took them off at his toilet
(cf. Mart. 14.123
). The same purpose may have
been served by a bronze stand which was found at Talese. It consists of a
rod resting on three feet. Down the rod may be slid a ring furnished with
catches to hold it steady, to one of which is attached a vertical oval ring
broken at the top so as to admit of rings or other articles of jewellery
being slid on it. (Ann. dell' Inst. Rom.
1842, p. 82.) The
name was also applied to a cabinet or collection of jewels. We learn from
Pliny (Plin. Nat. 37.11
), that Scaurus,
the stepson of Sulla, was the first person at Rome who had a collection of
this kind, and that his was the only one till Pompey brought to Rome the
collection of Mithridates, which he placed in the Capitol. (Cf. Murat.
907, 3.) The question is discussed in Dig. 32
, § § 8, 53, whether a legatee to whom a
was devised was to receive
also the testator's ring, and the converse.