), the building in which the
highest council of the state held its meetings. Scarcely anything is known
of the form or dimensions of such structures. Vitruvius (5.2
) gives a curious rule for ascertaining the proportions
between the height and the length and breadth: this does not, however, agree
with the probable plan and elevation of the Curia of Diocletian at Rome. The
same author enjoins the use of a cornice half-way up the wall to throw down
the sound. The occurrence of columns down each side of the hall is attested
by Pausanias (8.32
) at Phocis; a like arrangement has been noticed at Pompeii.
The history and site of the Senate-house at Rome have been much discussed.
Built by Tullus Hostilius (Varr. L. L.
5.155-6), the Curia
Hostilia was burnt at the funeral of Clodius (B.C. 52). Successive
restorations by a son of Sulla and by Augustus are recorded in the names C.
Cornelia and C. Julia. Under Domitian the C. Julia was again rebuilt. A
still later building, ascribed to Diocletian, has been identified with the
present church of S. Adriano on the N.E. of the Forum. It is of brick,
ornamented with stucco and marble. (Franz v. Reber, Die Lage d. C.
Hostilia u. d. C. Julia;
H. Jordan, Topogr. d. Stadt
1 Bd., 2 Abth. p. 250 ff.; J. H. Middleton, Anc. Rome
1885; Lanciani, L'aula e gli Uffici del Senato Romano
Du Perac, Vestigj di Roma,