previous next


ORTHO´SIA (Ὀρθωσία), a town of Syria mentioned by Strabo and Ptolemy, near the river Eleutherus, contiguous to Simyra, between it and Tripoli. (Strab. xvi. p.. 753; Ptol. 5.15.4.) The former makes it the northern extremity of Phoenice, Pelusium being the southern (p. 756), a distance, according to Artemidorus, of 3650 stadia (p. 760). It was 1130 stadia south of the Orontes. (lb.) Ptolemy places both Simyta and Orthosia south of the Eleutherus; but Strabo to the north of it: “agreeable whereunto,” writes Shaw, “we still find, upon the north banks of this river (Nahr-el-Berd), the ruins of a considerable city in a district named Ortosa. In Peutinger's table, also, Orthosia is placed 30 miles south of Antaradus and 12 miles north of Tripoli. The situation of it is likewise further illustrated by a medal of Antoninus Pius, struck at Orthosia, upon the reverse of which we have the goddess Astarte treading upon a river; for this city was built upon a rising ground, on the northern banks of the river, within half a furlong of the sea: and as the rugged eminences of Mount Libanus lie at a small distance, in a parallel with the shore, Orthosia must have been a place of the greatest importance, as it would have hereby the entire command of the road (the only one there is) betwixt Phoenice and the maritime parts of Syria.” (Travels, p. 270, 271.) The difficulties and discrepancies of ancient authors are well stated by Pococke. (Observations, vol. ii. pp. 204, 205, notes d. e.) He assumes the Nahr Kibeer for the Eleutherus, and places Orthosia on the river Accar, between Nahr Kibeer and El-Berd. (Maundrell, Journey, March 8.


hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: