previous next


PHYSCUS (Φύσκος: Eth. Φυσκεύς), a town of Caria, in the territory of the Rhodians, situated on the coast, with a harbour and a grove sacred to Leto. (Strab. xiv. p.652; Stadiasm. Mar. Mag. § 245; Ptol. 5.2.11, where it is called Φοῦσκα. It is impossible to suppose that this Physcus was the porttown of Mylasa (Strab. xiv. p.659); we must rather assume that Passala, the port of Mylasa, also bore the name of Physcus. Our Physcus was the ordinary landing-place for vessels sailing from Rhodes to Asia Minor. (Strab. xiv. p.663; comp. Steph. B. s. v.) This harbour, now called Marmorice, and a part of it Physco, is one of the finest in the world, and in 1801 Lord Nelson's fleet anchored here, before the battle of the Nile.


hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: