previous next


QUARTENSIS LOCUS a place mentioned in the Not. Imp. as under the command of the governor of Belgica Secunda: “Praefectus classis Sambricae in loco Quartensi sive Hornensi.” The place seems to be Quarte on the Sambre, which keeps the ancient name. The word Quarte indicates a distance of iv. from some principal place, it being usual for chief towns to reckon distances along the roads which led from them to the limits of their territory. This principal place to which Quartensis belonged was Bagacum (Bavai), and the distance from Quarte to Bavai is four Gallic leagues. The great Roman road from Durocortorum (Reims) to Bavai passed by Quarte. “Quartensis” is the adjective of a form “Quartus” or “Quarta,” and Quarta occurs in an old record of the year 1125, “Altare de Quarta supra Sambram,” which is the church of Quarte.


hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: