a place mentioned in the Not. Imp. as under the command of the governor of Belgica Secunda: “Praefectus classis Sambricae in loco Quartensi sive Hornensi.” The place seems to be Quarte
on the Sambre,
which keeps the ancient name.
The word Quarte
indicates a distance of iv. from some principal place, it being usual for chief towns to reckon distances along the roads which led from them to the limits of their territory.
This principal place to which Quartensis belonged was Bagacum (Bavai
), and the distance from Quarte
is four Gallic leagues.
The great Roman road from Durocortorum (Reims
) to Bavai
passed by Quarte.
“Quartensis” is the adjective of a form “Quartus” or “Quarta,” and Quarta occurs in an old record of the year 1125, “Altare de Quarta supra Sambram,” which is the church of Quarte.