or Ἡρακλέους πόλις μικρά
, Ptol. 4.5.56
; Joseph. Bell. Jud. 4.11.5; Steph. B. sub voce
Heracleûs, It. Anton. p. 152; Heraclium, Tab. Pent.), is mentioned only in the later times of Egyptian history.
It stood near Pelusium, in the Sethroite nome, and beyond the westernmost branch of the Delta. Hence it appears to have been sometimes denominated Sethrum (Σέθρον,
Steplh. B. s. v.), and regarded as the capital of the nome.
It was about 22 miles [p. 1.1051]
from Tanis. Its ruins are now covered by the lake Menzaleh,
near whose western border it was probably situated. (Champollion, L'Elgypte, vol. ii. p. 130; D'Anville, Mém. sur l'Egypte,